Workbench Release 2.0, v36.68 (Kickstart 36.?)
|Release date: 1990
||SuperKickstart disk, new software
|Shipped with: Early Amiga 3000s only|
- New 3D look throughout with the gray, black, and white color scheme
- Boot menu added (allowed selection of boot device and disabling/enabling devices and the startup-sequence)
- Standard GadTools GUI in ROM
- New menu system/organization
- Revised file system
- Show files without icons
- Preferences individualized, new ones introduced
- Standard file and font requesters
|1.3/2.0 Selection Screen
|Hidden messages: see Workbench 2.04|
Descriptions & Part Numbers
|Three (OFS) DS/DD diskettes|
|A3000 Install Disk|
|A3000 Workbench V2.0|
|Extras Version 2.0|
- Workbench 2.0 version 36.1, 36.68 was the first official release of the redesigned Workbench (a number of beta releases had already been out up to this point).
- Workbench 2.0 required a (hardware) v1.4 ROM to get the A3000 booting before 2.0 could be softkicked. Rodney Hester notes that the A3000 tower ROM was actually 1.4 beta 3.
- Holger Kruse posted on comp.sys.amiga.misc on September 11, 1999: " Commodore never bumped version numbers between beta versions and release versions. 2.0 and 3.0 both were official release versions, not beta versions. However they were not available for all Amigas (2.0 only for A3000, 3.0 only for A1200/A4000), because the functionality was considered incomplete or transient. Even 2.0 was arguably not a beta version, because at the time Commodore had a policy of distributing beta versions, and even gamma versions, only to registered developers. However A3000 owners were made aware of the transient and incomplete nature of 2.0 and advised to use 1.3 for "production work" :-)."