|Workbench Release 2.1, v38.36
|Release date: November/December 1992
||New software only
|Shipped with: Amiga 600s, available as an update for all other Amiga models.|
- Reduced memory usage.
- Faster asl.library.
- Improved stability.
- Dynamic localisation of programs to different languages and locale.
- New standard screenmode requester.
- New CrossDOS for easy transfer of MS-DOS and Amiga files.
- New Postscript printer driver.
- New Preferences editors.
- Support for 68040 CPUs via the new 68040.library (v37.30, in 2.1's "Install" disk "libs" directory, and on the A4091's Install disk).
- Support for multiple serial and parallel preferences.
- Support for high-density (1.76MB) floppy disk drives.
Two official versions of the release notes are available: Developer-style | User-style.
AmigaOS 3.x-style directory structure visible in DEVS:.
(note revised version on right)
|Hidden messages: same as Workbench 2.04|
|Descriptions and Part Numbers|
|Five (FFS) DS/DD diskettes|
- There appear to be four versions of Commodore's 68040.library:
Diskdoctor was officially removed with this release.
Commodore discontinued licensing the Amiga's speech software from SoftVoice, Inc., so (officially) beginning with this release, the "Say" program, DEVS:narrator.device, and LIBS:translator.library were no longer included on the Workbench disks. According to Matt Sealey, the guys who designed translator and narrator had a spat with Commodore, much like William Hawes did (ARexx), so Commodore had to withdraw it from the OS distribution. Commodore may also have discontinued licensing it to cut costs, as the software was not used much. The differences between v.33 and v.37 of the speech software are: the quality of the output was greatly enhanced, and the device now offered finer control of the speech-controlling parameters.
Starting with 2.1, the initial AmigaDOS window opening on bootup was discontinued (this makes use of a Kickstart 2.x ROM feature.) Apparently when booting from disk, the diskette requires a special bootblock to enable this feature.
- v36.2 () an old (original?) version without FPU emulation, located ?.
- v37.4 (10.6.92) located ?. Commodore gave this version to GVP and PPS.
- v37.10 (26.08.92) 43,428 bytes located in OS 3.0.
- v37.30 (18.1.93) 43,888 bytes located in OS 3.1; the A4000T (HD floppy) companion disk; and both A4091-4014 (.DMS) and A4091-4002 (.DMS).